Friday, April 20, 2012

Earthquakes and Poetry

This morning, we had an earthquake right outside of town. It was tiny as far as earthquakes go, only a 3.7 in magnitude. However, it woke both Drew and me up at just a little past 5am. We felt a tremble and heard a low rumble. 'Earth noises' as the local reports called it.
Photo from Geoscience Australia

When we finally did get up, it was a lovely foggy morning. The kind of fog that dampens the sounds of the neighborhood. Throughout the morning, my mind kept returning to those earthly grumblings and I felt inspired to write a haiku. Since it's National Poetry Month in the United States, I thought I'd share it with you.


Autumn Earthquake
a haiku by Mandy
The sun tiptoes up.
Fog rests on the fall morning.
The earth rumbles, shakes.


Hope you enjoyed that little slice of poetry!  Feel free to share your own haikus in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I love your haiku. I'm happy it wasn't a more serious earthquake and that you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your haiku! The big earthquake in VA was my first ever and it was SO weird. I'll be happy not to go through another one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Mandy. I have never written a Haiku- but you rock!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for following along with our adventures.