Friday, March 9, 2012

A Day at the Royal Canberra Show

Before the rains started, we spent a sunny Saturday at the Royal Canberra Show.  Boasting livestock competitions, rides, games, exhibitor booths, and much more, it's the equivalent of a state fair in America. Here are a few pictures of what we saw that day.


Cute little girls in sundresses.

A lumberjack competition.  We stayed for three different events and learned all kinds of interesting facts about how the steel axes are made and what type of wood is used.  The wood they are chopping in this picture is silver top ash.


Fresh juice stands and grizzled guitar man.


Giant cows. And I do mean GIANT - this Holstein Friesian named Fonzy is over 6 feet tall and he last weighed in at 2 and half tons!  Alpacas are big here, too, and I kind of fell in love with them.  Have you ever seen one up close?  They have the biggest eyes.  I particularly liked this dread-locked fellow. The judges did, too.  He later won a blue ribbon.


Lots of fluffy sheep.  And beautiful horses.  (I dragged Drew through almost every horse stable on the fairgrounds.)

More beautiful horses and shaggy cows.

My favorite picture of the day - a baby cow is trotted out after its momma.

As you can tell, we mostly stuck to the livestock areas.  I didn't get any pictures of the rides.  And I looked everywhere for a Fairy Floss stand but didn't see one.  (Fairy floss is what they call cotton candy here.) 

I did get to wear my cowboy boots though.  And the entire day reminded me of home.  What more could a girl ask for?  :-)

6 comments:

  1. Holy crap, that Holstein Friesian weighs more than my car. And I love (LOVE) your cowboy boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a gigantic cow. There were too many people around to get a self portrait next to it but it would have dwarfed me (not that that takes much). :)

      Delete
  2. I am in love with your boots. These pictures are lovely. What a wonderful day. And I love that the people at the juice stand are actually standing inside a fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the juice stand, too. It was very eye-catching. :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE it all! Your boots are adorable just like you. glad you had a good time. Maybe you can find the fairy floss another time.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for following along with our adventures.