Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dance Your Thesis

Science research is important but let's face it—PhD theses can be very inaccessible to the general public.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  For several years, Andrew and I have looked forward to Science's "Dance Your Ph.D." contest.  The competition, in its fourth year, encourages graduate students to create dance videos that explain their research.  The results are often wacky, usually hilarious, and mostly educational.

Why am I telling you about this?  Because this year's winner in the Physics category is from Australia! 



Video embedded above (if you're looking at this blog in Reader, you may have to open the post to see the video). 

Even if you're not interested in physics, the video is worth checking out for its sheer creative brilliance and comedic impact.  You'll also learn a little bit about how titanium is used in bone replacements.

4 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. I totally think Ian should enter his thesis. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I cannot imagine how long that took to film! All that stop animation. I had heard of this recently- but I can't remember where. Thanks chica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is great! I have a series on my blog called PhD Thursdays...maybe I should do something like this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! That is amazing! I think people would be less stressed about their dissertations if this could be the defense. :) Or actually, some people may be even MORE stressed by it!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for following along with our adventures.