Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy Birthday, Andrew! {& a peanut butter cookie recipe}


Tuesday was Drew's birthday.  In our house, birthdays are a big deal.  Not only do you get presents and birthday cake/cookies, but you get to be right in all disagreements, big and small, for an entire week.  Since this was our first major holiday away from home, I tried to make it extra special.

The wrapping paper options at the store weren't so great, mostly pink princesses and plaid patterns so I bought some plain black wrapping paper.  My initial thought was to buy some pretty ribbons to jazz it up, but then I saw a silver sharpie and had a brainstorm.  Back at home and having wrapped everything in seemingly morbid black paper, I set to work writing silly silver sharpied love poems on each one.  The poems also included hints as to what was inside of each box.  This was so much fun for both of us that I will definitely be keeping it in mind for future presents.

For his birthday treat, Drew requested peanut butter cookies, specifically our friend Taryn's recipe.  Before we moved to Australia, we lived with Taryn and her husband for a month and she spoiled Drew by making him fresh cookies every couple of days.  She is a super fabulous cook and I'm always excited when he requests one of her recipes.  Also, we haven't had peanut butter in quite awhile so I was very excited about these cookies.


Happy Birthday, Husband!  Now it's time to start counting down the days until my birthday...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~


Here is the easy recipe for the peanut butter cookies...

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup sugar*
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix and bake at 350 for ~10 minutes

*You can cut the sugar in half if you want.  I didn't this time because it was a birthday treat but it tastes almost the same if you do.  Also, you can substitute a banana for the egg.  Andrew is allergic to bananas so I used an egg. I also sometimes add a half a cup of oats to this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Look at you making the recipe more healthy! You can cut the sugar in half? Nice secret to know. Peanut butter banana cookies sounds amazing too. Hope he had a great b-day! hugs friend.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for following along with our adventures.