Friday, August 5, 2011

Zam I Am

Luckily, we don't have to translate things here.  Everyone speaks English. However, some things are lost not in translation but in, shall we say, accent. Case in point...

We've been going out to a pub and then dins (Aussie for dinner) with friends every Friday night. All of them are Australians who we've met through Drew's job. On the first night, everyone introduced themselves and I could have sworn that one guy said his name was Zam. I even asked him to repeat it and commented, "Zam, that's a cool name." The whole group started laughing, much to my confusion. Apparently, his name was SAM. They asked me how I would pronounce Sam and then proceeded to make fun of my American accent, attempting to talk in exaggerated drawls. It was all in good fun but still, so embarrassing!

In light of that, I thought I would share a recent article from The New Yorker about American accents and how we are supposedly butchering the English language. (A shout out to our friends Steph and Peter who will definitely enjoy the article!)
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2011/08/original-english.html

Have a great weekend!
~Mandy

3 comments:

  1. Haha--love it! There's nothing funnier than hearing non-Americans mock American accents by imitating them. My in-laws take great joy in this. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zam is a cool name. Too bad his real name is Sam. You should call him Zam anyway. = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Dinner" is also called "Tea". I find it so confusing when someone invites me over for tea and I never know whether I should expect dinner or literal tea as tea is such a big part of the culture. I remember when my FIL was in the states visiting (back before he was my FIL) and he invited me out for tea. I suggested a tea house and he suggested some chinese restaurant...and we never had "tea" as in the drink at all. I didn't figure it out until I got here!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for following along with our adventures.