Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Trip to the Grocery Store

When you're in a foreign country, sometimes something as simple as a trip to the grocery store can be fun. On our last trip, I snapped these pictures so you could see what's different in an Australian grocery store.

Eggs aren't refrigerated.  Isn't that crazy?  They just sit on the shelf, next to the bread.  Oh, and the eggs are all brown.  I haven't seen any white ones yet.  Most of the eggs that I've seen are from cage-free chickens.  In one store, there were big signs all around a display of eggs that warned that those eggs were from caged hens.  Since we're big proponents of buying happy chickens and eggs (and happy cow milk), it's nice to know that things are well labeled here.

 


Towering displays of Vegemite, Tim Tams, and Weet-Bix.  I have not tried any of these things yet but I'm sure I will at some point.  Vegemite is a dark brown substance made from yeast.  It doesn't look terribly appetizing but several people slathered it on their bread for breakfast at the hostel that we stayed at during our first two weeks here. Tim Tams are cookies that I hear are very yummy. Weet-Bix are the Australian equivalent of Wheaties, complete with their own athlete testimonials.



Kangaroo meat can be found in most grocery stores. This photo is a little blurry because I felt silly taking a picture of this in front of the deli guys. Right now, kangaroos are still novel and cute to me so I am kind of rebelling against eating them.  However, Andrew's philosophy is that you always have to eat the native herbivore so I'm sure we'll grill up kangaroo steaks at least once while we're here.

From l to r: roe-on scallops, baby octopus, whole calamari, calamari tubes, cuttlefish

In our neck of town, the grocery stores are located in the mall. Right next to the clothing stores, Target, and the Ugg boots stand (yes, people do actually wear those here). The first couple of times that we went to the mall, I was a little grossed out by the smell of the fresh meat and seafood stands. Who wants to shop for clothes while smelling dead fish? But, I've mostly gotten used to it by now.

Of course, we've also learned quite a bit of new food vocabulary since we arrived, such as:
  • capsicum = bell pepper
  • sodium bicarbonate = baking soda
  • American mustard = yellow mustard
  • prawns = shrimp
  • sultanas = raisins
  • biscuits = cookies
  • crisps = chips
  • tomato sauce or sometimes just "sauce" = ketchup

Hope you enjoyed this trip to the grocery store!  I'm going to go make myself a snack now...

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Keep us posted on what kangaroo tastes like! :) Oh, and Weet-a-bix is gross. I haven't tried marmite/vegemite yet, but Peter and his family love it. Yeast-spread just doesn't sound appealing to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Tams = Heaven. Seriously. You bite of both ends and suck milk though the cookie. Amazing.

    Kangaroo = weird. I am with you on this one. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie - Oh I will definitely post about eating kangaroo if and when it happens. :)

    Taryn - I will definitely try your TimTam trick. Sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for following along with our adventures.